Wednesday, July 20, 2011

Kate

Today when I got home, I heard Kate upstairs, scratching on the door of the bathroom.  She heard me and wanted out!  It made my heart happy.  It also made me super sad that she is locked up.  Kate goes back to the doctor tomorrow for her second round of heartworm treatment.  So far, everything is going good.  She hasn't had any weird side effects, and she actually doesn't act like anything is bothering her.  I can't wait until this ordeal is over! 
It's just been in the past few days that my mind has actually wondered "Is this going to work out?  Did I make the right decision?"  I mean, Kate is precious and behaves perfectly, but I based my decision on keeping her on her being perfect for ONE day.  This makes me laugh at myself for so many reasons.  I pride myself on not being rash, on thinking things through.  I can't imagine something happening that would make me not want to keep Kate, and I'm the type of person (as I believe all people should be, for the most part) that when I decide to keep a dog, I'm keeping the dog, no matter what. 
And I'm actually watching Toddlers and Tiaras right now.  This also got me thinking about how people that don't have kids, like myself, do the same thing to their dog that these parents are doing to their child.  I used to work at an upscale dog boutique, and I've seen people drop some major moolah on their four legged friend.  I've also heard those same people talk about how they keep their dog in the laundry room 24/7 because of the hair or because they aren't housebroken.  I clean my house whether there is dog hair everywhere or not, don't you?
Guess what folks?  Some dogs shed.  If a dog isn't housebroken, it's because you didn't housebreak him/her.  Trust me, I would love to spend all kinds of money on my dogs, I'd much rather buy cool stuff for them then for myself.  But bottom line is that I want them to be a DOG.  They have the right to act like a dog, think like a dog, smell like a dog, and behave like a dog.  There is freedom in that.  My dogs may not have a bed that costs $200, but they get nine kinds of attention from me, and hugs, and belly rubs, and I kiss them until their furry little cheeks can't take it anymore.  We play and do exciting things and go for car rides, and they are happy. 

No comments:

Post a Comment